Another Maguindanao Massacre Suspect Dies

September 15, 2016

MANILA, Philippines – Another accused in the 2009 Maguindanao massacre case has died.

A staff of the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 221, which handles the case, yesterday said accused Moktar Daud died on September 8, while confined at the Lung Center of the Philippines (LCP) in Quezon City due to tuberculosis (TB).

The source said the court has allowed Daud to be confined at the LCP last September 5 in view of his lung disease.

The source further noted that the accused had been confined at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) until his death last week.

Daud was diagnosed to be suffering from “multiple drug resistant TB (MDR TB)” in January 2015.

MDR TB is the name given to TB when the bacteria that are causing it are resistant to two or more of the primary drugs used for the treatment of the said lung disease.

TB is an infectious disease that usually infects the lungs. The bacteria that cause it can spread from person to person through the air by sneezing and coughing.

The court has earlier allowed Daud to be transferred from Quezon City Jail Annex at Camp Bagong Diwa in Bicutan, Taguig City to Quezon City Jail TB Isolation Facility inside the Quezon City Jail Male Dormitory in Quezon City for his lung disease treatment.

Daud, who was arrested in October 2010 in Pasay City, is allegedly a driver of the Ampatuan clan, whose some members are the prime suspects in the carnage.

Court records showed that Daud is the fourth detained suspect in the massacre case who died while the case is being heard.

The first accused who died was PO2 Hernani Decipulo, Jr. that allegedly committed suicide by jumping from the rooftop of his detention cell in Camp Bagong Diwa on February 6, 2012.

Other accused who died during the pendency of the case were former Maguindanao governor Andal Ampatuan, Sr. and Maot Dumla, alias Nhot Abdul.

Ampatuan died on July 17, 2015 at the National Kidney and Transplant Institute in Quezon City due to liver cancer.

Dumla, on the other hand, died at the Taguig-Pateros Hospital on April 11, 2015 due to congestive heart failure.

The four accused were among the 197 suspects who were initially charged with multiple murders in connection with the killing of 58 people, including 32 media men, at a remote village in Maguindanao on November 23, 2009. -RBA

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s