May 11, 2016
MANILA, Philippines – Senator Antonio Trillanes IV suddenly toned down his negative attacks on presidential candidate and Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, who is poised to be officially proclaimed as the victor.
The senator on Tuesday said he will not be a hindrance to the Duterte administration as he respects “the will of the people.”
“They have spoken clearly and resoundingly that they want Mayor Duterte to be our next president,” Trillanes said.
“I assure the Mayor and our countrymen that I will not be a hindrance to the reform initiatives he intends to push in our government,” he added.
However, Trillanes said if he sees something wrong with the Duterte administration, he would still look into it and perform his duty as a senator.
“Having said that, I will continue with my advocacies as a legislator in our system of checks and balances,” he noted.
“Kung may mali at pagmamalalabis, siyempre hindi ko pa rin pababayaan,” he added.
Trillanes would still be a senator until 2019 even if he loses in the vice presidential race.
Last week, he filed a plunder complaint before the Office of the Ombudsman against the tough-talking mayor for alleged ghost employees in Davao City.
It was also the senator who accused Duterte of having billions of pesos in his bank accounts that were not declared in his 2014 Statement of Assets and Liabilities as required by law.
Trillanes earlier said if Duterte wins the presidency, he would spearhead the impeachment moves against him.
But during a press briefing in Quezon City on Tuesday, the senator no longer bragged about it.
Trillanes said he would leave it up to the Ombudsman to act on his complaint.
“May kaso na akong ifinile sa Ombudsman. So may proseso sila kung paano nila iimbestigahan o kung kailan ito matatapos. Hahayaan na natin yan,” he said.
“Ako, hindi ako namemersonal. Ginagampanan ko lang ang aking tungkulin. Remember kapag campaign kasi you want to convince people… you want to give information that may be a factor in their decision-making. Pero after election, ‘yan na eh. Parang kahit ano pa iyong impormasyon mo, tinanggap na nila (voters). Iginagalang ko yon. Iyan ang demokrasya,” he added.
The senator also accepted his defeat and conceded in the vice presidential race.
“As our countrymen await the final victor, I hereby concede defeat in the vice-presidential race,” said Trillanes, who is consistently on fifth place in the partial and unofficial results of the Commission on Elections (Comelec).
As of Tuesday evening, results showed Camarines Sur Representative Leni Robredo leading, closely followed by Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.
Senators Alan Cayetano and Francis “Chiz” Escudero ranked third and fourth, respectively, followed by Trillanes and Senator Gringo Honasan.
Trillanes trailed behind Escudero and Honasan, who have earlier conceded from the race. – RBA