Communist Leader Tiamzon Seeks Medical Checkup At NKTI

February 25, 2016

MANILA, Philippines – Alleged Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) leader Wilma Austria-Tiamzon has asked a Quezon City court to allow her to undergo a medical check up at the National Kidney Transplant Institute (NKTI) for further evaluation of her health.

In a four-page motion filed at the QC Regional Trial Court Branch 216, Tiamzon, through her counsel Rachel Pastores, asked the court’s permission for a follow-up medical checkup at the NKTI based on the recommendation of her doctor Fernando Melendres.

Last January 29, Melendres examined Tiamzon inside Camp Crame detention center in Quezon City and recommended that she undergo a number of diagnostic tests and procedures in a hospital to further assess her condition.

In his motion, Tiamzon said the Philippine National Police (PNP) General Hospital in Camp Crame, where she is now detained, has no adequate facilities and specialists to examine, evaluate, and determine her state of health.

Tiamzon was earlier diagnosed with “vertebral artery syndrome,” a condition related to the narrowing of the vertebral or basilar arteries.

“Considering the nature of her medical condition… the accused should undergo follow-up medical evaluation at the NKTI where the required medical equipment and facilities are available,” stated in her motion.

“Her medical condition should be properly assessed to determine whether she should continue with her prescribed medication and/or to undergo other treatment,” it added.

Tiamzon asked the court to permit her to go to NKTI before March 16.

Court records showed that Tiamzon has already underwent several medical checkups and treatments for her aforesaid ailment while in detention.

She and her husband, Benito Tiamzon, also an alleged CPP leader, were arrested in Cebu in March 2014.

They are facing charges of kidnapping and serious illegal detention.

They were accused of abducting lieutenants Clariton Santos, Oscar Singson, Abraham Casis, and Rommel Salamanca of the Armed Forces of the Philippines and of sergeant John Jacob of the Philippine Narcotics Command in 1988.

The alleged abduction of the four lieutenants happened in Barangay Taguan, Candelaria, Quezon on May 1, 1988, and Jacob in Mauban, Quezon on June 1, 1988.

The couple allegedly detained the victims against their will for 75 days.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s